Visiting International Students (Summer Only)

UC Santa Cruz Summer Session has an open enrollment policy and is available to all visiting international students. You can take classes online or live and learn on our 2,000-acre campus nestled in the redwood forest overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Monterey Bay. Learn more in downloadable guide

Visiting international summer-only students are non-immigrant visitors who come to the U.S. temporarily to take classes.  This applies to you if you:

  • Intend to stay in the U.S. temporarily (summer only) and need to apply for a visa to be allowed to enter the U.S.,
  • Do not have U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status (a valid green card), or
  • Currently live in the U.S. in a non-immigrant visa status

If you were admitted to attend UC Santa Cruz in the fall (but you would like to start your enrollment early over summer), go to our newly admitted page.

Online Classes:

If you elect to enroll in online classes only during Summer Session, and you plan to remain outside of the U.S. during that time, you do not need to apply for (nor are you eligible for) a student visa. Your next step is to:

Please note: You may NOT attend Summer Session while in B-1/B-2 Visitor status in the U.S. If you need to transfer your SEVIS record to UCSC, please contact to discuss eligibility before you request your transfer.

In-Person Classes:

  1. Register as a Visiting Student 
  2. Submit proof of English Proficiency to
  3. Submit documents by the deadline if you need a UCSC I-20 or DS-2019

Document Submission Deadlines:

  • April 15 to attend Session 1, 8-week, 10-week (classes that begin June 26) 
  • May 15 to attend Session 2 (classes that begin July 31)

Do I need a UCSC I-20 or DS-2019?

Yes, if you are:

  • Currently living outside of the U.S. and planning to enroll in in-person courses for Summer Session only
  • Participating in a special exchange program (KAIST, etc.)
  • Attending another school in the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student and you do NOT plan to resume your studies at that same school after summer. If you plan to attend a third institution in the fall term, contact ISSS at

No, if you are:

  • A continuing F-1 or J-1 student AND enrolled in the spring term and will either be enrolled in fall term too, or enrolled in summer as your last term of required enrollment. You should already have an I-20 or DS-2019 with a future end date. Email ISSS at if you have questions.
  • Currently in the U.S. and in another valid visa status (H-4, etc.) which allows part-time or full-time enrollment. If you have any questions, please consult with ISSS at

English Proficiency

English language proficiency documentation (like TOEFL) is required for in person classes

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Overall band score of 6.5+
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 80 on the Internet-based test 
  • SAT (March 2016 or later) Writing & Language Test: 31+
  • ACT combined English-Writing or English Language Arts portion: 24+
  • AP English Language and Composition, or English Literature and Composition: 3, 4, or 5
  • IB in English: Literature, or Language and Literature: 6 or 7
  • Duolingo English Test (DET): Minimum of 115

Tuition and Fees

  • $50 Registration Fee
  • $1,700.96 - tuition for a five-credit course ($279 per credit)
  • $333.90 - Campus Fee (mandatory for all courses, including online). 

Additional In Person Costs

  • $300 - International Visiting Student Fee
  • $3,000 - Housing and Dining (approximate number varies with length of stay and room type)

# credits

Tuition with Campus Fee

2 $891.90
5 $1,728.90
7 $2,286.90
10 $3,123.90
12 $3,681.90
15 $4,518.90 
  • There is no financial aid or tuition discounts available for visiting students. Visiting non-UC students are not eligible for the Pay for Only 10 Program.
  • Textbooks and other course materials are not included in tuition and campus fees

How to Pay

  • International payments can be made online from any bank in any country using Flywire, or you can pay via Credit Card through your MyUCSC portal (instructions on our payment page). 


  • Students who complete 15 credits or more receive a $680 discount on tuition.