Independent Studies


To Enroll:

We are now using DocuSign for completing and approving new forms that previously required a manual signature and routing. If you have a PDF form already in process, you do not need to redo it with DocuSign. 

  1. To complete this form, you will need the name and emails of your Faculty Sponsor and your Department Chair, Provost, Dean, or Designee. You must use their individual UCSC email addresses (not an alias or general adviser email).
  2. You will be required to authenticate your form. An email will come to your UCSC email to complete the authentication process.
  3. Once you have signed your form, it is routed to your faculty sponsor, then your Department Chair, Provost, Dean, or Designee to e-sign.
  4. Once they have e-signed, all parties will receive an email of the completed form, and the Summer Session staff will enroll you within 3 business days – you will see it successfully in your portal once you’re enrolled.

undergraduate form button

These are considered 10-week sessions – you can complete the work anytime within ten weeks. If you have any questions, email


  1. Summer Session course fees apply ($279 per credit) 
  2. $305.96 one-time campus fee


  • May 1 - enrollment opens, and we can then start processing your forms (please allow up to two weeks for the Summer Session Office to set up the course and enroll you)
  • July 23 - last day to submit a petition
  • July 26 - last day to drop 
  • August 13 - last day to request "W" grade

See the Graduate Division page for Graduate Independent Studies.