Welcome to Summer in Santa Cruz!

As part of UCSC’s Summer Session, visiting students from across the country can earn UC transferrable credits. Most classes are taught at an accelerated five-week pace. 

Request information or join our mailing list to be reminded of visiting student deadlines.

You are a Visiting Student if you are:

  • Currently attending a university or community college other than UC Santa Cruz. 
  • A working professional or community member.

All visiting students must register annually to enroll in courses. There are no audits or OLLI over the summer.

First Steps:

  1. Review the Visiting Student Guide and Checklist (be sure to calculate your costs). International students may have additional steps.
  2. Register 
  3. Enroll in your class or join a waitlist by the add deadline

Next Steps:

  1. Understand our policies and deadlines on adding, dropping, and requesting a W grade
  2. Learn when and how to pay
  3. If you attend another UC campus, see additional details here.

Important Policies

  • UCSC Summer Session policies differ from other campuses. Please read carefully through our policies regarding waitlists, adding, dropping, refunds, and Medical or Emergency course withdrawal.
  • Unlike other colleges and universities, UCSC does NOT drop for non-attendance or non-payment. There are no automatic drops over summer.
    • Even if you never attend class - you need to drop yourself.
    • Even if you don't pay - you need to drop yourself.
  • YOU must officially drop your course by the deadline to avoid receiving an F or NP (No Pass) and being responsible for tuition and fees.

Costs & Financial Aid

  • Visit our tuition and fee page to calculate your costs based on how many credits you enroll in.
  • Ask the school you are visiting from if you have remaining aid for this summer to use here at UCSC.

Attending from Another UC

  • UC students can be Financial Aid eligible across campuses. Ask your home campus about their Intercampus Summer Financial Aid Application.
  • Grades earned at UC Santa Cruz will count towards your UC GPA.
  • Transcripts for other UC students attending UCSC for the summer will be sent automatically to your home UC campus, as long as all fees are paid and you do not have any disciplinary holds on your records. Transcripts are typically mailed the third week of September.

Summer Accommodations

If You Chose Not to Attend

  • If you filled out a registration form but did not pay the $50 fee, you can email summer@ucsc.edu and let us know so we stop messaging you. We will cancel your registration.
  • No action is required if you registered and paid your $50 non-refundable fee but never enrolled in classes. Have a good summer. 
  • If you cannot attend a course you're enrolled in; you MUST DROP yourself. Instructors do not drop students for not attending or not paying. If you do not drop yourself from a course, you will be responsible for paying the tuition for it.

English Proficiency

  • If you are taking online/remote courses and will not be visiting the campus, you do not need to apply for a visa or provide proof of English proficiency if you are outside of the U.S.
  • If you plan to come to the U.S. for your course, consult the International Students page to see if you need a UCSC I-20 or DS-2019.