Adds, Drops, & Withdrawals

UCSC Summer Session differs from the regular academic year and other UC campuses. Read through the following policies regarding adding, dropping and refunds carefully.

To Add or Drop Courses

YOU must officially drop your course to avoid receiving an F or NP (No Pass). Even if you never attend class - you need to drop yourself. Instructors do not drop students in summer. The Summer Session Staff cannot drop you from your classes either. You must drop them using your Student Portal (

There is no "Add by Petition" in summer; the deadline is firm. There is no "Administrative Drop by Instructor" in summer; the deadline is firm. 


  • There is no credit minimum in summer.
  • There is a 15 credit maximum per session.
  • There is a 30 credit maximum for the entire summer.  

If you would like to exceed this maximum, you would need permission from your college adviser. 

Failure to drop your course will result in billing you full tuition and fees. If you are eligible for UC Financial Aid but decline it, you must still DROP your classes to avoid being charged for them. If you drop a course, a refund* can be given based on the date on which the course is dropped, if you meet the deadlines.  

Step-by-step instructions on using the Student Portal are available by clicking on the links below:

*NOTE: If you enroll and later drop all classes, you are charged a $50 nonrefundable cancellation fee. You will not be charged the $50 cancellation fee as long as you remain enrolled in at least one class. See Refund Policy

To Withdraw from Courses

After the drop deadline has passed, you may withdraw from a class by filing a Withdrawal form to receive a Withdrawal Grade of a “W.” Bring your Student ID to the Summer Session Office in 140 Hahn during our business hours M-F 9am-5pm. You cannot withdraw from a class through your portal.

Please note:

  • There are no tuition refunds for Withdrawals - you will be responsible for full tuition and fees. Once you file your Withdrawal form, you cannot rescind.
  • Withdrawal forms are not accepted after the 5 pm deadline specified in the Summer Session Calendar
  • After the deadline, Withdrawal forms will only be considered with documented medical emergency reasons.  Once fall begins, UCSC students must work with their college advisers if they have medical reasons to request a late summer withdrawal.

While the W notation you receive will not be calculated in your GPA, it will appear on your official transcripts and may impact your academic progress. Some graduate programs may not look favorably on W notations. There are, however, times when withdrawing from a class is a very good choice. Consult with an adviser at your college about the benefits and drawbacks of withdrawing.

To Withdraw from an Online Course

  • If you need to withdraw from an online class, email and we will provide you with the necessary 1-page form and withdrawal procedure (this only available for online classes, on-campus classes must file in person).