Costs and Financial Aid
Summer Academy Benefits:
All Academy students receive 25% off tuition!
All students pay the same low summer tuition rate in summer, including out-of-state and international students!
Discounted on-campus housing - greatly reduced cost in comparison to fall, winter, or spring!
Tuition and Fees
Regular Summer Session tuition for all students (in-state, out-of-state, international) is $273 per credit. Academy students are offered a 25% discount on tuition (woohoo!), which reduces the per credit cost to $205 (academy students must remain enrolled in the required 2-credit KRSG 25 course to receive this discount).
$205 per credit x 7 credits = $1,435 for Tuition
All Summer Session and Summer Academy students who take classes on-campus over the summer are charged a required $287 campus fee. This fee gives students unlimited access to libraries, computer labs, the fitness center, pool, courts, metro buses, bike shuttles... the whole campus is yours!
$287 Campus Fee + $1,435 Tuition = $1,722 for Tuition and Fees
Books and supplies vary by what you take. Some arts classes and science labs have small 'materials fees'. Some classes have more than 5 credits, like sciences with required labs, or PSYC 100. If you take more than 7 credits, your tuition (and aid) will increase accordingly.
Housing and Dining Costs
For transfer students who would like to live on campus over the summer, Summer Academy housing is offered at a significantly discounted rate in comparison to fall, winter, and spring quarters with options ranging from single (a room to yourself) to a quad room (a room with 3 roommates). Housing and dining rates vary depending on room type, please review the Summer Academy Housing for more information.
- Students are required to have health insurance. You will be signed up for the UCSC health insurance (called UCSHIP) for $322.99 for the summer.
- If you already have health insurance, you can waive UC SHIP by providing proof that your insurance meets the UC requirements.
Estimated Summer Academy Costs:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Tuition for 7 Credits||$1,435|
|Housing & Dining (optional)||~$1,800 Estimated|
|Off-Campus Total:||~$1,772 Estimated|
|On-Campus Total:||~$3,500 Estimated|
Financial aid is available to domestic transfer Summer Academy students who:
- Submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA or Dream Application on or before May 31 - and if submitted at a prior institution, made a correction to include the UCSC school code: 001321
- In order to be considered for financial aid for the 2017 Summer Academy Program, you must complete your 2016-2017 FAFSA or Dream Application on or before May 31. If you want to receive aid for the 2017-2018 academic year - Fall, Winter, and Spring quarter - you must also complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA or Dream Application by March 2.
- Enroll in 7 credits by June 15
- June 15 is the priority deadline for enrolling in 7 credits for the Summer Academy. When the Financial Aid & Scholarship office sees that you have enrolled in 7 credits, they will begin packaging your aid. Enroll in your 7 credits earlier rather than later to receive your summer aid package on time!
- Maintain and complete the 7 credits required by the Summer Academy program.
- Financial Aid will be reduced, and may be cancelled if enrolled in less than 7 credits, in which case, will be required to pay the Summer Academy costs out of pocket.
Once you file your 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 financial aid applications, the UCSC Financial Aid & Scholarship Office will notify you regarding next steps you need to take to ensure you receive your aid offer. Please make sure to keep up to date with your student portal and complete any items on your student portal’s ‘To Do List’.